Saturday, March 30, 2013

State of the union

It occurs to me that anyone who bases their impression of the state of my marriage on my blog posts - or other outlets I might use to vent when I need to - must think I'm miserable most of the time.

Not so.

This is where I share things that are on my mind, but when what's on my mind is how well things are going, well, I'm usually already sharing that with someone, and when things are going well with our marriage, the person I'm sharing it with is my bride. When things aren't going well, I am finding chances to talk about that with her, too, but I often want to chew on my thoughts a little first, and this space helps me do that.

So here we are in the midst of a busy (as always) Triduum weekend, and I'm about to go out to buy her an Easter card. But I'm pretty skeptical of finding one that expresses how grateful I am to be sharing our resurrected life in Christ together, and that also says how much I appreciate how she's grown spiritually, and how much sharing life with her helps me to walk as I am called, and how deeply I love her.  The fact is that our marriage does for me exactly what the sacrament is supposed to do, and I'm pretty confident that it is doing the same for her: helps each of us grow into the beloved son and daughter of God that we are called to be.

I am so blessed to be yoked with such a partner in the journey. I'll have to look for a card that leaves me room to say all of that in addition to whatever message they manufactured it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment