Sunday, March 17, 2013

Another HOF, and more

Yesterday we (yes, it was we!  It was an unexpected pleasure, when I was expecting to be on my own for this experience, to be surprised with the company of the dear friends whom I'm visiting this weekend.  I so love this family, and am so grateful that we got to do this together!) went to the Baseball Hall of Fame.  I've always dreamed of visiting the Hall, and it was a real fulfillment of my baseball fandom to be able to do so at last.  There were many memories stirred, and while they were not necessarily all pleasant, many of them were a really fundamental part of who I am.
  • There was one mysterious moment of, "hmm, I should remember that.  Why don't I remember that?" which was quickly solved when I noticed the date, and realized what my family was going through at that time.
  • There was another moment I remembered well that was poignant for its contrast with what ended up happening in my life just the following week, related to the previous memory.  This memory also has the sweet recollection of having spent it with my oldest daughter and best friend from high school, and of being associated with an event that truly made sports history that most people are aware of.  The juxtaposition with what came after is striking, and in a way, even more precious because of it.
  • For each of these, there were many, many mementos associated with far happier memories.  
    • The Orioles' most successful era coincided with my childhood, so I experienced many nostalgic feelings as I saw the displays associated with these players and events.  
    • There were also a couple of items associated with the most recent season, in which we long-term fans so reveled.
The thing is, for all I have enjoyed my HOF experiences this weekend, the best part of it has been the time with these friends.  Today at brunch, the boys were playing a game I'd never heard before, in which they were naming off elements (etc.) which truly impressed me that they would know - including one or two that I didn't (or had forgotten.  yeah, that's it.  forgotten in my old age.)   I commented that there is no way for these parents to deny these children, who are clearly and undeniably theirs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment