Friday, March 01, 2013

Avoiding internal crises

I'm going to have to figure out how to keep from feeling kicked in the gut whenever someone commits a crime that has elements in common with my former self.  I have faced my consequences, made the changes I needed to make in my life, and need not revile myself just because others do reviling things.

Now, to deal with the interior debate of that second sentence:

  • Yes, I faced my consequences.  They may have been less than my actions warranted if evaluated in a vacuum, but the combined circumstances of my self-reporting, my history, and my family's support in healthful ways along with their need for me to get well and resume my place all factored into the authorities' decision to set the consequences they felt were appropriate for me. In retrospect, the self-reporting was probably the biggest factor.
  • There isn't really any question with regard to my second point.  I'll die rather than ever do anything similar.
  • Now that my mother-in-law has passed on and my wife's sister-in-law has had a change of heart, there is really  no one left who condemns me when they hear my story, and I've given plenty of people the chance to.

No comments:

Post a Comment