Monday, March 04, 2013

CMA (not the Country Music Awards)

I get really frustrated when I go to mass and most of the homily is a program pitch.  More on that in a moment, but first, the part I liked.

There has been discussion about the work that the evangelization committee has (or hasn't) been able to accomplish, and as I have been listening to outside descriptions of how this panel has been going about their "business," my immediate response is, "Don't these people know Jesus?"

So in our pastor's brief comments, he focused on the Samaritan woman's evangelization efforts.  She didn't lecture anyone, she merely shared her encounter of Christ with them.  I thought this was an incredibly pertinent insight, often neglected in the context of the other big themes of this reading.  I also can't help but wonder how many people in the church didn't have the foggiest idea what Fr. Dave was talking about.

The remainder of the homily time was devoted to having us fill out envelopes for the archdiocesan Catholic Ministries Appeal.  I understand that our bishop is trying to increase the participation level for his work, but really?  Step-by-step instructions on filling out the form on the envelope?

And since I played at all the weekend masses: 3 times?!

Sigh. The sad thing is that, by having me do that in Mass, he only got what I had in my pocket, when I'd have undoubtedly given more if I'd written a check.

No comments:

Post a Comment