Friday, March 23, 2012

Strengths and weaknesses

Okay, a friend of mine just posted a link to a video allegedly of a husband and wife in a car discussing a very basic math problem involving velocity, distance, and time.  If it's real, the husband is just as clueless as the wife, though in a completely different way.

I won't post a link to it, because someone has to know what this man doesn't:
  • you don't humiliate people
  • you especially don't do it publicly
  • your particularly don't humiliate your wife on the Internet. 
This couple will not be married long unless something changes drastically to change the husband's attitude toward his wife.
Follow up: my wife and I were discussing this video on Friday night.  I think she thought I was testing her, when what I was really doing was a) bemoaning this husband's attitude, and b) reaffirming that I no longer have such an attitude toward her.  She also thought we'd discussed this video already, which I'd never seen prior to Friday afternoon. 

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  An emotionally healthy person, who isn't dependent on what Fr. Spitzer calls the comparative identity for his sense of self worth, doesn't build himself up at the expense of the people he loves by demonstrating their weakness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment