Thursday, March 08, 2012

More unconscious brain weirdness

It was supposed to be the gig at St. Helen, but the space was more like Immaculate Conception. I'd tuned the guitar already, and it was sitting on a stand, ready to go, as we finished rehearsing and went back into the sacristy area to pray. As I walked past it, I heard the tension suddenly release on one of my strings, and knew I had to fix that right away.  So I took it to the side and tuned it up, which seemed to take painfully long.  I finally finished, then went back to the sacristy, from which Jubilee had emerged already to take their places, except for one other tenor who was still struggling with his choir robe. (I don't have the foggiest idea why we were robed. It's a dream.) They were gold metallic monstrosities with black surplices built into them. The other tenor went out to get into place while I fought my robe on.  I then walked as calmly as possible to my place in the choir, where they were already singing the opening piece.  This was an arrangement of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent, and even in my dream we'd never sung it together before, but it was apparently in the repertoire from before I'd joined.  The director and another alto were singing words back and forth to each other that weren't in the lyric, trying to communicate with each other and the choir without the audience catching on, though it was plainly audible.  I sat (!) in the open space between them in front, silently because I didn't know the piece, as the director sang - I think to the audience this time - that I was not singing because I didn't know the piece.  The piece had by then moved into an energetic section (again - !) that only someone who knew this arrangement could have participated in.  There was clearly frustration and anger driven by our pre-service routine's interruption by my guitar malfunction.

When the piece was over, the person on my right walked away from the choir to gather herself.  This had been the director earlier in the dream, but was now the other alto, as the director remained on my left with a forced smile.  She apologized to the audience for our out-of-the normal beginning, and explained that we would restart the program properly after we took a few minutes to calm ourselves and enter into the presence of the Lord.  We discussed how the robes were not "us" on our way from the sanctuary area. Apparently we'd started late in the first place, too, as I was concerned about how long the families with children were going to have to be there now.

And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment