Friday, March 09, 2012

Hope for all

Or we might put the question this way: If it is possible that many will be eternally lost and if it is possible that all will be saved, which should we hope for? In view of the command to love all people, must we not hope that in the end all will be saved? Can we love others and not hope that they will be saved? - Fr. Richard John Neuhaus, Death on a Friday Afternoon

It isn't fair of me to grab this quote at the end of four pages of eight pages of development of the idea that perhaps none of us will be condemned to hell for all eternity, in which Fr. Neuhaus has addressed biblical passages that suggest otherwise, and others that support our hope.  Yes, "our hope."  I am saved by God's grace, meaning of course that it is completely not a matter of my deserving it.  I can only accept this gift on the terms under which it is offered, under the command to love as I have been loved.  I am saved because God has desired it, and I must desire it for others.  Therefore I hope that all will be saved by God's grace.  I cannot do otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment