Monday, March 19, 2012

A political mini-rant

This Fact Checker article from the Washington Post really disappoints me.  (Well, technically, it's the campaign film that it examines that disappoints me.)  I suppose I shouldn't be the slightest bit surprised, though.  Politicians pull crap like this all the time, purposely presenting a set of circumstances in the way that makes the listener interpret them in the way that best furthers their agenda, even to the point of being willing to present a scenario that is likely to lead the audience to conclusions that completely differ from reality.

I don't have any respect for anyone who does that.  It is a way of lying with the truth, which is a trick of Satan.  In this case, it isn't even a matter of how two reasonable people might interpret the same facts in different ways.

I suppose I understand why the President of the United States could conclude that this issue is important enough to make it okay to mis-present the circumstances of his own mother's death for the sake of those he's trying to help.

But no, a sincere intention does not justify dishonest means. This is basic ethics.


No comments:

Post a Comment