Thursday, March 22, 2012

Hope and faith

We must not presume.  We cannot know in advance for ourselves and certainly we cannot know in advance for others.  We cannot presume, however, promises are made, and promises elicit hope, and hope is the form that faith takes in relation to the future. - Fr. Richard John Neuhaus, Death on a Friday Afternoon


This last phrase may be the most succinct explanation of the relationship between faith and hope that I've ever encountered.  I've heard many people fumble to explain the difference, and when they're done I end up concluding that they've really just described the same thing in two different ways. But this idea that we have faith in what is and hope for what is to come makes great sense.

Of course, we use the word "hope" in many other contexts, too.  I may hope you're having a great day, even if I don't necessarily have faith that you are. Too, I hope that all will be saved, though I don't have faith that all will be so much as that it is possible for God.  While there is a difference of tense between these in the latter example, that isn't the only or biggest difference, so tense cannot be the cut and dry distinction between these theological virtues.  I suppose that what it comes down to is that I have faith in God, in his existence and goodness and love, and hope in what the implications of that belief might be for me and for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment