Tuesday, March 06, 2012

A love which cannot be denied?

First Timothy declares that God "desires all to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." Is it possible that God's purpose will be thwarted? And what might that say about whether God is truly God? Will the sovereignty of God in Christ be forever in dispute?
Admittedly, these are heavy questions. Christians have been debating them for centuries, and we will not here resolve them to everyone's satisfaction, not even to our own. But stay with them for a while, for these questions lead into the mystery of a love that searched out and found such an unlikely soul as Dysmas. - Fr. Richard John Neuhaus, Death on a Friday Afternoon


I have always rejected the position of apocatastasis until I heard Fr. Neuhaus' explanation in support of it, and even after having done so I can only manage to hope for the sake of my fellow sojourners that it might be true.

It is enough for me to know that God desires in his love for us that we be saved, and to respond to that love by returning it and sharing it as I am led.

No comments:

Post a Comment