Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Today's words

teleological \tel-ee-uh-LAH-jih-kul, tee-\ - exhibiting or relating to design or purpose especially in nature
First of all, how odd that someone forgot the definition in today's WOTD article. Secondly, this is the second time in recent days that the alternate pronunciation I'd expect was also omitted. finally, while I was somewhat familiar with this word, I'm not sure I quite understood its meaning. 
syllepsis \suh-LEP-sis\ - 1. the use of a word to modify or govern syntactically two or more words with only one of which it formally agrees in gender, number, or case  2. the use of a word in the same grammatical relation to two adjacent words in the context with one literal and the other metaphorical in sense.
I was so grateful that the Did You Know part of this write-up ultimately addressed the first definition, because both examples and the beginning of the DYK were all about the second. So I love syllepsis when used as in the second definition, and it drives me right up the wall when I encounter it in the first sense. 
gault \ˈgȯlt\ - chiefly British :  a heavy thick clay soil
And one I didn't recognize from today's Dictionary Devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment