Thursday, September 18, 2014

Today's words

A bunch of new ones since I last had time to post words:

hegemony \hih-JEM-uh-nee\ -1. dominant influence or authority over others  2. the social, cultural, ideological, or economic influence exerted by a dominant group
One of those words I've always had "close enough" by context when I've encountered it. I was mentally mispronouncing it, though.
grubstake \GRUB-stayk\ - to provide with material assistance (as a loan) for launching an enterprise or for a person in difficult circumstances
This one is pretty intuitive. Also, I had no idea that nugget was such a linguistic newcomer. 
lido \LEE-doh\ - a fashionable beach resort
This one was completely new for me.
aleatory \AY-lee-uh-tor-ee\ - characterized by chance or random elements
When I saw this word on the WOTD list, I was trying to figure out which bodily function it might be related to. Not even close. But that may have been influenced by seeing yesterday's word in the list, too.
divarication \dye-vair-uh-KAY-shun\ - 1. the action, process, or fact of spreading apart  2. a divergence of opinion
It seems like this one must be under some dusty neurons somewhere in my cranium.

No comments:

Post a Comment