Monday, September 29, 2014

Exercises - the first step, session one

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and return not thither but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and prosper in the thing for which I sent it. "For you shall go out in joy, and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." Is 55, 10-12

They had better, for I often find that I cannot.

But that is the purpose of embarking upon this retreat. My participation in my prayer life has too long been a matter of how I feel rather than simply waiting faithfully upon God. I am more than my feelings, whatever they may be. And I am more than my tendency to engage in pride, to impress with my insight.

Even my blogging can be that, though this is now for me just a place where I can retrace my steps along these exercises. If I should borrow Miss Manners' term - Gentle Reader - I must first associate these words with myself, for whom they have often been not terribly accurate.

Lord, allow your word to water me, to make this dry seed bring forth and sprout. Let my entire soul join the mountains and the hills in song, and the trees in claps of rhythm and praise to your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment