Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Nobody has asked me, but:

What do I think about the latest Ray Rice news?
  • I think what Ray did was reprehensible. 
  • I think there's good reason why the justice process is not generally played out in the public eye. Everyone is distraught about this assault, which was bad. But the police see way worse domestic violence every. single. day.  Should it be that way? No, of course not. In one sense I am glad of the outcry: we should feel offended.
  • I've never been more glad that my own worst moment can't be broadcast nationally.
  • I'm completely tired of people's self-righteous indignation. Our lack of grace is appalling.
I knew a guy once who served six consecutive weekends for what I heard him describe as "beating the crap out of my old lady." This was a misdemeanor conviction, and the dude was no celebrity. He didn't get the same diversion program as what Ray is in, as our state doesn't believe in programs that leave no conviction record, but he was able to serve his time in a way that let him keep his job and provide for his family. I'm pretty confident Ray didn't get more lenient or severe treatment from the state because of being a football player. What: he shouldn't have been eligible for the program because he's famous?

The more commentary I read on this - professional and otherwise - the angrier I get. Most of it has just been self-righteousness dressed up as righteous indignation.

If my son-in-law ever faces his issues as he needs to, I hope I respond to him with more compassion than Ray is getting. Now the Ravens have cut Ray. I hope he and his wife can get on with their lives, healing what they need to and becoming the people they need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment