Thursday, May 02, 2013

Tuesday night's scripture reading

Following praise and worship at each prayer meeting, we have a period in which we listen quietly for word gifts. Our group has several prophets through whom the Lord speaks messages of encouragement to us, and I will usually get a scripture reading - often before the first prophetic word is spoken - which usually turns out to underscore or complement the messages given. I generally look for this reading before the words are spoken, but don't share it until after; in this way, neither the passage to which I am led nor others' speaking influence each other; this tends to keep us from doubting whether the unity of these messages is merely due to suggestibility on our part.

The reading to which I was led on Tuesday supported strongly the encouraging, prophetic words that were spoken concerning who we are in Christ and how that identity calls us to live:
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship. When we cry, "Abba! Father!" it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. - Rom 8, 15-18
In my struggles, especially in my darkest moments, it can be hard for me to remember this, and my reality can feel far removed from this one. Yet in his patience God reminds me of the truth - often, for I am slow to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment