Saturday, May 25, 2013

Boasting in afflictions (edited)

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access (by faith) to this grace in which we stand, and we boast in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance;, and endurance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us. - Rom 5, 1-5

This scripture passage from tomorrow's mass really resonated with me today. I am far too prone to complain about my afflictions than to boast about them, I too often fail to recognize that God's perfect providence is at work in the midst of them.

This latest circumstance with our middle daughter provides a great opportunity for us to share God's bounteous love with her, and we are blessed with the means to do that. A rude and completely inappropriate comment our oldest daughter made to my wife this afternoon really got under my skin, until she provided an unprompted and clearly sincere apology. Then it became an opportunity to affirm her for her insight and humility after the fact (which is sometimes the hardest time to face a mistake). This morning I was asked by a friend to talk with his son, whose wife has been touched by some of the same childhood issues I have had to deal with; he has no idea how to help his bride. So even this long dark affliction of my youth may become an opportunity for someone else to be blessed by healing.

Right now I know several people who are going through tremendous afflictions. I hope one or two of them might read this and know that God is at work even in the midst of them. I admire their character, and I pray that it will lead them to hope that does not disappoint and a deep sense of the love of God at work in their hearts and lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment