Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pentecost celebration

When I saw the great weather on Sunday afternoon, I was concerned about the turnout we'd get for our Pentecost celebration. Still, I'm pretty sure we were over a hundred folks, with an interesting mixture of those who came for the traditional elements of adoration and benediction versus those who came for the charismatic elements of praise and worship.  It was especially nice to have Joey along playing keyboard for us, and a treat that Steve joined us again on bass, apparently at the last minute.  I thought that Bruce had confirmed him weeks ago, and was really surprised on Saturday night when Bruce called and indicated that wasn't the case.  I don't know what happened with the miscommunication, but at least he was still available!

Father Angelo Anthony gave us a fascinating image of Holy Spirit from the Irish tradition, where the Spirit is depicted as a wild goose rather than as a dove. We think of a dove being an image of peace, and the Spirit does indeed bring peace in the midst of our turmoil. Yet more often the first documented action attributed to the Holy Spirit at Pentecost was to overcome the disciples' fear and spur them into action, so the wild goose image seems somehow appropriate, too. It was a really uplifting and inspiring reminder to not be complacent and docile with regard to our faith.

We had prayer support from an unexpected and distant quarter, too.  At dinner on the island of Hawai'i, our entertainer was a guitarist whose playing and singing styles and repertoire had much overlap with my own. We were sitting closest to him, so I was able to give him specific feedback on things I especially appreciated about his music through the course of the evening. He was loop back-tracking himself with a pedal to keep the guitar rhythm part going which he could then play lead against, and there was one particular piece - it may have been Wonderful Tonight, but I think it was a different one - on which his lead was just sublimely tasteful. After he finished - we'd gotten a late start on dinner - he asked me about my musical background, and I shared that I play mostly at church. He mentioned he was a praise and worship leader at his church, as well, so we also had that in common. So on the way out I asked him specifically to pray for our Pentecost celebration on Sunday, as we'd be getting back into town on Saturday evening and then would be gathering about 9:00 (his time) on Sunday. He said he'd be glad to, then gave me two CDs of his, which I need to put in the car so I can have a listen. Rupert Tripp, Jr., thanks for your contribution to a special evening of a great vacation, and thanks especially for your prayer support!

No comments:

Post a Comment