Thursday, April 05, 2012

Wonder and wisdom

In wonder is wisdom born.  The most elementary and at the same time the most profound of questions is, "Why is there anything at all and not nothing?"  Why am I?  we must never get embarrassed about asking something so basic, so apparently naive. In our supposed sophistication we may suppress the question, we may become practiced at forgetting it, but we never really get beyond it. The fact that I find myself in a boundless world of innumerable existent beings is astonishing beyond measure. - Fr. Richard John Neuhuas, Death on a Friday Afternoon


Our worst response to these questions is not suppression nor jaded forgetfulness, but disdain for those who insist on looking for an answer to them.  The current egotistical line of thought is that we are above needing an answer to such a question, that the search for significance is a fool's errand and the wise person is beyond it.  And there go both the wonder and the wisdom it engenders.

I don't need an explanation for my existence; if I am a mere insignificant speck in the vast universe, I can live with that for another few fleeting decade-attomoments and make the most of the life and love with which I am blessed therein.  But though I may not need it for the sake of my ego, I am thrilled to have one, and such a wonderful Answer that alone explains every mystery over which I wonder.  All of salvation history points to him, as on the cross he fulfills every prophetic foreshadowing which God knew we would need to recognize him.

No comments:

Post a Comment