Thursday, December 05, 2013

Today's words

diatessaron \'dye-uh-TESS-uh-ron\ - 1. a musical interval encompassing four staff positions spanning five semitones; a perfect fourth  2. cap : a gospel harmony created in the second century by Tatian
I've encountered an attribution to this second definition before; it's about time I looked it up! The first was an added bonus. (Also, sometimes I have to cobble together concise definitions - or, in some cases, pronunciations - from the resources I find; if I make any errors in the effort, they are mine and not the fault of my sources, and I apologize for leading the reader astray.)
cavil \KAV-uhl\ - to complain about things that are not important
Sometimes a very common WOTD takes me to a word I've never heard before.

No comments:

Post a Comment