Thursday, December 05, 2013

This morning

This morning, while my wife's alarm was not going off  as we expected, my unconcious cerebral synaptic activity had me preparing to play cello in a string quartet. One of my fellow instrumentalist's loose bow strings was getting in my face, which was greatly distracting me from the task at hand; I suspect this dream image was prompted by the physical reality of getting too close to my wife's hair.

When my pre-alarm went off, she got up quickly before I heard it, and to her credit managed to panic without disturbing me. But when I saw that it was my alarm, I was immediately aware that I hadn't heard hers, nor any of her usual activity - closing the bedroom door so as not to disturb me, letting the dog into our room after his first outdoor break of the morning, kissing me before she left - which should have all happened before my alarm activated this morning. Not sure what had happened, though we solved that mystery soon enough, I got moving and quickly got her breakfast and lunch put into her bag. Then I started her car so that she could make as quick an exit as possible. It turned out that the car starting wasn't necessary as the cold weather hadn't moved in yet, but I was glad to do what I could to help her out.

I was blessed to follow up that flurry of activity with some nice prayer by the light of the Advent wreath. I didn't manage to fully quiet my mind for it, but was way less rushed and active than I have been of late in my prayer time, and did manage to completely put off the completely banal things that I have been too quick to chase after in the morning.

Many things to pray for: friends in mourning, friends in need of physical healing, family stuff from several quarters and in wide variety, friends in difficult circumstances or facing challenges to their peace of mind. These all I lay before you, Lord, and entrust to your care.

No comments:

Post a Comment