Sunday, December 22, 2013

Giving birth to the Savior

Mary said: My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. The Lord has exalted me with a gift so great, so unheard of, that language is useless to describe it, and the depths of love in my heart can scarcely grasp it. I offer then all the powers of my soul in praise and thanksgiving. As I contemplate his greatness, which knows no limits, I joyfully surrender my whole life, my senses, my judgment, for my spirit rejoices in the eternal Godhead of that Jesus, that Savior, whom I have conceived in this world of time. - From a commentary on Luke by St. Bede the Venerable

I am certain that all of us underestimate what a great gift God has bestowed upon us. There is certainly a great dearth of gratitude to him for him, and I fail as greatly as anyone in this, settling my attention to often upon what I perceive to be my lack rather than on God's abundant Providence. Especially when I consider that Christ dwells within me by the Holy Spirit and that I, like Mary, am blessed with the unspeakable honor of bearing him to the world, my heart finally begins to overflow with the praise that should be the hallmark of my entire life.

Let my soul proclaim your greatness, O Lord, unrestricted by my mind's and my heart's frequent distractedness by less important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment