Friday, December 13, 2013

Mary and Eve

So when I finished with an abbreviated version of the Office of Readings this morning, in the interest of time I figured I'd wait until later to draw out a quote or two that struck me from the online version. But when I looked online I saw that they of course have the second reading from the memorial of St. Lucy rather than from Friday of the second week of Advent.

I've heard many compare and contrasts between these two women who have played such pivotal roles in history. But there was one contrast I don't think I've ever noticed before: just as sin entered the world when Eve accepted the lie of a fallen angel, so the Savior entered the world when Mary accepted the truth of a holy one.

If Christianity is a fabrication, it is a better one than I think we are capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment