Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving weekend

As Father Dave acknowledged the challenges we face amid the many blessings for which we are so grateful, I immediately thought of my bride beside me, for whom Thanksgiving is still strongly associated with the death of both of her parents, two years apart from each other and just two short years since Dad passed away.  Then, before moving on from consideration of those negatives we must sometimes deal with during otherwise heartwarming holidays, I again encountered a passing thought of that terrible Thanksgiving weekend so long ago, on which a boy's last vestiges of innocence were obliterated.  My friend's visit to New York this weekend had already prompted a faint reminder yesterday.

Yet I find in the memory the knowledge that God was with me in the midst of it, as he has been all along the way, as he supports me spiritually and through the love of my dearest family and closest friends.

Thank you, my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment