Sunday, November 04, 2012

A homily for me to be a little wary of

Fr. Dave's homily this morning was interesting.  I'm as skeptical of near-death experiences as the author of the article he read from used to be.  As encouraging as the overall message was, and even with the strength of its testimony boosted by the scientific support of the author's experience, I still have to really watch out for the third part of the message the author shared, this idea that we can do nothing wrong.  I think it's dangerous, especially in the context of the rest of the author's experience, both in general and for me specifically.

Because I still sometimes feel so daunted by the life I see ahead of me, it isn't healthy for me to think too much about how wonderful the next place is going to be without the corresponding understanding that my choices along the way have an effect on that.  It isn't that I have any illusion of having to pay my own fare, mind you, but I think I need to believe that my choices affect things beyond what I can see, including what my experience of eternity may prove to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment