Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A ruined night

How to set up a wonderful evening:

  1. Support my plan for a nice ride on a gorgeous evening.
  2. Make a really wonderful salad for dinner, and have it ready when I get home.  I mean, that thing was first rate:
    • leftover rotisserie chicken
    • green leaf lettuce mix
    • strawberries
    • pecans
    • a delicious dijon dressing and bleu cheese crumbles on the side
  3. Make a playful comment when I come in the door, even though I'm all sweaty.  Wow, you got my attention!
  4. Give me time to cool down from my ride before expecting me to shower and eat.
How to ruin it:
  1. Watch a show I hated when you watched it two and three decades ago, and that has gotten worse in its new incarnation.
  2. When I finish getting cleaned up and using the bathroom, be sure that the two of you hit the kitchen just as I'm trying to get my dinner together, so that I'm continually trying to work around you to get my meal together.
  3. Leave so little clear counter space that there is, literally, nowhere in the kitchen for me to put a plate to dish my food onto.  Even the deck of the sink was occupied by stuff you left out.
  4. When I try to just clear some space to get my plate together, insist that you're going to take care of it, as if you're offended that I'm trying to make a place to work.  
  5. When I put my plate on the dining room table, on which there is also barely enough clear surface to eat, then walk back and forth multiple times to get the salad and the dressing and the bleu cheese and the mac and cheese and carry them to the dining room to dish them onto my plate, except I have to walk around through the hallway because you and/or our daughter are standing in the doorway between the dining room and the kitchen and I've said "excuse me" just as often as I can manage, be sure to give me a full ration of bovine fecal material because I'm feeling a little frustrated because it's 9:00 and I'm hungry from my ride and I still can't eat.
You can be pissed off over my frustration if you want, but I really was trying to just deal with it as well as I could until you gave me shit about it, behind my back where I wasn't supposed to see it.  I just love being mocked; doesn't everyone?  

You know what, I know I was frustrated, but I was handling things.  Maybe I wasn't exactly patient, but I was dealing with it.  Still, if you want to be pissed off, that's your prerogative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment