Friday, June 29, 2012

Brave New World?

When I got on FB this morning, I saw that one of my younger friends had shared a bunch of pictures (11!) in a row with sayings that reflect feelings she could relate to.  It has become a popular trend: take a picture, post an angst-driven observation that makes you feel better, and let your emotionally riven peers share that in lieu of expressing their feelings for themselves.  

On the one hand, my heart goes out to her, while on the other I'm mildly annoyed that I have to choose between not knowing what's going on with her at all and getting to my other friends' firsthand sharing of what they're going through.  My aunt and my cousin are each experiencing the death of one of their closest friends; good friends of ours are still (as far as I know) evacuated because of the fire in Colorado Springs; other good friends are going through an incredibly trying time that they won't post about, but I still treasure the things they do share online as a barometer of how they're doing.

I love knowing what our young friend is going through - and others like her, for that matter - and am lifting her up in prayer along with our other loved ones, but I'd way prefer to see it in her own expression of her thoughts and feelings.  Maybe those are too personal to be shared so broadly.  Still, it's a little like being friends with someone who only speaks through book or movie quotations.  I have a neurotic vision of an e-world so filled with others' feelings expressed so appropriately that we'll never need to use our own words to express our thoughts and feelings for ourselves.


With that: I'm off to see the Wizard!

No comments:

Post a Comment