Saturday, June 16, 2012

Another reason to choose one's battles carefully

It's too easy to lose sight of when you're already walking on a blood-drenched battlefield.

My wife was really upset with my daughter over being ignored about something she was trying to arrange for Father's Day.  Our daughter finally replied to her over some plans for the grandkids today, after which she expressed her current frustration over our daughter being incommunicado - not that we haven't had that issue before.

In this case, my immediate response was to support our daughter.  "You  can't be on her case about Father's Day," I pleaded, tears welling up in my eyes in the blink of a moment.

It will be good if I can advocate for our daughter over the truth that our complex feelings about such events and holidays are never completely gone from our lives, no matter how much we may have dealt with them, without allowing the pendulum of my thoughts and emotions to swing back to self-condemnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment