Tuesday, June 12, 2012

non sequitur

I know it would probably be better for me to stay completely away from news of the Sandusky trial.

I know it would probably be better for me to stay completely away from news of the Sandusky trial.

This isn't the same thing as writing 50 times on the chalkboard that I will stay completely away from news of the Sandusky trial, but I know it would probably be better for me to stay completely away from news of the Sandusky trial.

I'm reminded of that old Brother Juniper cartoon, in which the troublesome monk is writing, "I will not use Tabasco sauce in place of tomato juice" over and over again.

Anyway, I very much doubt that I will be able to keep from reading news of the Sandusky trial.  And I'm going to keep reading things that perpetuate the atmosphere that makes sexual abusers know they can get away with it.  The testimony so far has been pretty compelling and pretty damning.

Jerry Sandusky's friends would do him a way bigger favor by convincing him to get the help he obviously needs rather than burying their heads in the sand about "what kind of people" commit sexual abuse and how their good friend Jerry isn't that sort of guy. The other sad thing is how this facade keeps him convinced in his heart that no one would tolerate him if they knew the truth.



No comments:

Post a Comment