Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Today's words

A pair of new words from today's Dictionary Devil puzzle:

dragoman \ˈdra-gə-mən\ - an interpreter chiefly of Arabic, Turkish, or Persian employed especially in the Near East
I'd've probably mispronounced this with a long vowel in the first syllable. And I'd certainly have used the alternate plural of "dragomen" rather then the preferred plural formed by adding an "s." 
kerf \ˈkərf\ -  1.  a slit or notch made by a saw or cutting torch  2.  the width of cut made by a saw or cutting torch
As familiar as I am with this concept, if I ever knew the word itself I had long since forgotten it. 
Also, although today's word of the day was the highly familiar "obtuse," it's linked antonym was somewhat new for me:

luculent \ˈlü-kyə-lənt\ - clear in thought or expression :  lucid

No comments:

Post a Comment