Thursday, June 09, 2016

Today's words

The Merriam-Webster site gave me a birthday present: a Dictionary Devil puzzle with new words in it:

gamelan \ˈga-mə-ˌlan, -ˌlän\ - an Indonesian orchestra made up especially of percussion instruments (as gongs, xylophones, and drums)
Now I'm going to have to try to hear some gamelan music.
parfleche \ˈpär-ˌflesh\ - 1.  a raw hide soaked in lye to remove the hair and dried  2.  an article (as a bag or case) made of parfleche
I've seen this word before, but have mentally mispronounced it by accenting the second syllable.
sachem \ˈsā-chəm, ˈsa-\ - 1.  a North American Indian chief; especially :  the chief of a confederation of the Algonquian tribes of the North Atlantic coast  2.  a Tammany leader
Another totally new one for me, for which my initial tendency was to use the alternate pronunciation.
Three new words in one game. Now, if only the WOTD were new to me, too, although I never considered that sheaf was a synonym for passel.

No comments:

Post a Comment