Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Transforming (phase 4) - The Ascension (step 32) - session 3a

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it." - (Jn 14:12-14)

This passage was not included in the step, but it seems worth revisiting within this context.

Because Jesus has returned to the Father, we have an Advocate in heaven who has given his very life in his abundant love for us, and a Father who has likewise given his Beloved Son. We must get over the idea that God is an obstacle to our joy, which is based on an utter misunderstanding of the nature of joy, versus happiness or pleasure.  We also have a misunderstanding of the word "name," which in its biblical uses most often means something like "authority."  I believe we do not ask anything in Jesus' name unless we pray as he did:
  • desiring nothing more than we do the kingdom of God for ourselves and for all
  • trusting that the Father loves and knows us better than we love and know ourselves
  • humbly accepting that the Father's ways are better than what we think is best
This is not excuse-making for why God doesn't answer our prayers. I have seen over and over again how prayers are answered in the name of Jesus, and sometimes they are answered exactly as we ask, and at other times they are clearly answered but in completely different ways from how we ask. When what we ask is most in line with God's desires for us to live holy lives rooted in his love is when our prayers are answered most in line with how we ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment