Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Transforming (phase 4) - The Ascension (step 32) - Introduction

The apparitions tangibly show that the Son of God chose to remain human forever, prove that humanity is destined to enter eternal life, a fact that should lead to a new appreciation of the dignity of each human being. - Orientation, Step 32: The Ascension, Step-by-step Retreats

There are only a couple scripture passages included in this phase, and not much material for reflection.  I might spend a couple days on this introduction. I've spent too little time reflecting on the full implications of this wonderful mystery, so I will probably also revisit a quote or two from the Last Supper discourse that also shine light on the importance of this tenet of our faith.

But this one sentence, this phrase that starts it, smacked me upside the head! I suppose that many Catholics, like me, have this misconception - never really fully considered, let alone voiced - that Jesus was fully human when he walked on the earth prior to his crucifixion, but that when he rose, or certainly by the time he ascended, he stopped being human. Maybe we think he became superhuman. I'm not sure I can fully get my mind around the idea that Jesus is eternally human, and I think I need to be okay with that. But yes, this also means that I truly am eternal, as is every human being.

And yes, this affects the dignity with which I need to revere all others.

No comments:

Post a Comment