Sunday, October 28, 2012

Musical selections

So we're doing this piece that our director is so excited about.  It's a musically interesting piece - though another motet without a guitar part; thankfully she's letting me work up a part for the next one we're doing which just screams for it - but it just doesn't do a thing for my walk.
Listen to the lambs, all a cryin'
Want to go to heaven when I die
 
Seriously?  Me too!  The verses aren't much of an improvement.

I know, I know: it's supposed to be a great new take on an old spiritual.  It really is kind of interesting musically, especially contrasted against the original spiritual.  But there was no meat in it to begin with, and dressing it up with more moving and intriguing music just hides the absence of sustenance under a layer of fancy sauce.

This is the second new piece this year that I've just hated, and I think she gave us a third at last rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment