Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Integrity

The presider of the wedding on Saturday was a long-time friend of the groom, and he doesn't have an especially spiritual background.  He shared instead about how the values espoused by Air Force officers can bear fruit in a marriage.

When he shared about integrity, he said, "Integrity is more than just honesty.  You can do wrong and be honest about it.  Integrity is always choosing to do right, even when no one is looking."

If life were only that simple.  We're flawed human beings.  We make mistakes.  We confuse our wants and our needs.  We're driven by things we don't understand.  (In fairness, I don't think he ignored any of that.)

Then there are the inevitable conflicts that arise between two people who, for all their oneness, will always be very different.

I want to be a person of impeccable integrity, but sometimes, when I compare what I feel and what I know I need to do, I don't think I'm ever going to get there.  Some days the only right things I can manage to choose are to remember that I've chosen the only road that will work for me and to let that truth lift me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment