Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Expectations

Okay. I get that there are certain shows you're never going to skip.  I do. After all, I'm going to be champing at the bit over this playoff game tonight, even though it's your last night in town for the week. I may manage to decide not to watch the whole thing, but you know I'm at least going to be checking in on it all evening. So, yes, I understand why you're eager to find out what happened to these characters you've come to care about and in these story lines that are so captivating.

Still, it will probably help us both if you exercise enough foresight not to set my expectations for a different decision?  I don't keep track of what program is on which night, while you know pretty well which of your programs I can't stand to be around.  So you're the only one of us who has any internalized sense of when we're going to have time together and when we're not, except for the clues that you give me.  When my expectations don't match the decision you're going to make, especially when I base them on the clues you've given me, the decision feels more personal and more frustrating than it would be on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment