Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Rocky Mountain High - no thanks

"But you know who really should smoke/eat weed? Cranky old guys whom life has turned bitter. It would do wonders for your outlook . . . " - A pot advocate replying to an otherwise left-of-center columnist who suggested (outside of his main thesis, which was that we really should revisit tighter restrictions on the business model of tobacco, the only known product known to kill such a high percentage of customers when they use it as intended) that maybe everybody shouldn't run out and get high as soon as it's legal.

Really? Light up and lighten up, man? That's the best you've got for advocating for your position? If "whom life has turned bitter" means "whom life has taught that getting stoned isn't such a great aspiration," I'm glad to count myself among the bitter. Surprise: a guy whose abuser used my youthful affinity for weed to elevate my suggestibility, so that he could push me beyond the boundaries of my vulnerability over and over again, has grown up (old) to become not such a fan of pot! Oh, and let's not forget to add in the experience of later burying my sister because of drugs and always wondering how much my own experimentation affected her. Even in the absence of these extreme repercussions, my life has never been all that it should have been, largely because of the years that I was more interested in getting high than in growing into the person I should be and living up to my potential. So, no, I'm never going to have a favorable opinion of your recreational drug of choice.

But feel free to go crawl back into your bowl, keep evaluating the world through the haze, and scoffing at people who have good reasons for staying away from that crap.

(Sorry, that last part is clearly a little bitter, but you don't seem open to any other suggestion, so there you go.)

No comments:

Post a Comment