Monday, March 13, 2006

Receiving blessings

Funny how things work out. I had a wonderful evening Sunday night, taking part in evening prayer as part of a Lenten mission at one of the area churches. The priest was the draw, for me. I'd seen Fr. J-Glenn Murray teach on video, and I was not about to pass up a chance to hear him in person. It's a three-day event, and if the rest of it builds on night one, those folks are in for a treat.

I was hoping to go back Monday, with my wife, but that didn't work out as planned. I was disappointed, but then, spending the evening with her was more important to me. Then that didn't exactly work out as planned, either. Oh well. Better to treasure the blessings we receive than to lament the ones we might long for.

Still, I struggle to put that into practice. Marriage can feel frustrating and challenging when one partner seems disinterested in or unmotivated by things the other feels they must pursue. Sure, we're not always going to want the same things, and that's okay. But I was so excited, and so wanted to share, and ended up being a bit angry Monday night. At least (I think) I let myself feel that without lashing out, without losing sight of the blessings and the love that have become the overall hallmarks of our relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Just for the record I could tell you were a bit angry, Monday night.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete