Friday, March 24, 2006

Misattribution and good intentions

I'm sometimes amazed at how my mind gets wrapped up in its own thoughts and assumes that I'm in harmony with the people around me.

This morning I rose early, as I've been doing throughout Lent, and was blessed with some time with the One who loves me most (morning prayer instead of Office of Readings this morning, because I love praying Psalm 51; thus no reflection yet on today's scriptural or extracanonical readings), after which I quickly ate and started on the few dishes that were in the sink. I was in a great mood, with a song from Wednesday's choir rehearsal in my ear, thinking of how blessed I am in general, and how much I love my wife. I was really enjoying this chore, keeping the noise down as she slept just down the hallway.

"Darling?" I heard her call out to me after a few minutes, and went to the bedroom to see what she wanted. "I'll take care of those before Hannah gets here," she offered.

I thought it was really nice of her to offer, but I was enjoying doing this so much, and really wanted to serve her a bit, to perhaps make her day a little better.

"That's okay," I said. "I don't mind, and I have time."

I was turning to head back to my task when she replied, "Well . . . "

I turned back toward her.

"You're keeping me awake."

Oops. So much for making her day better. Turns out I just made it start sooner. Closing the door didn't help, either, as the damage was done. Oh well. Sorry, hon!

No comments:

Post a Comment