Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Interior Castle

I have begun reading this book by St. Teresa of Avila, which I presume is going to be a book about prayer. I'm struck by a couple things about it already, though.

First, in the preface, Father Raimundo Panikkar makes a point closely related to some of my earlier musings on holiness. Being a saint, he suggests, is not about our achieving perfection on our own efforts, but is about God dwelling in the person of the saint. I will certainly be reading the rest of this preface.

I don't like to spend too much time in the preliminaries of such a book, though, before beginning to get a sense of the body of the text. So I've also read St. Teresa's own prologue. In just two pages, I have encountered a humble, obedient soul, who I'm eager to journey along with for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment