Thursday, June 17, 2010

Reality check

The other day I saw a "like" on FB along the lines of, "The most common lie is 'I'm fine.'"  At first I nodded my head in agreement, but now I've reconsidered.  


I think I'd still agree if it said "I feel fine," though we rarely express it that way.  For me, it's often true that my current emotional state isn't very much in harmony with the unobtrusive "I'm fine" by which I spare others the details of whatever my current angst may be. 


Yet for me the greater truth is this: even when I don't especially feel fine, when I feel depressed or dissatisfied with my life in some particular or in a myriad of them, I'm far more blessed than I'm realizing at that moment, and simply have my attention on the wrong thing.  The truth is, I usually really am fine - my fundamental needs are usually met, I'm not starving or homeless or seriously diseased or near imminent death - even when my attention is more on my current troubles than my many blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment