Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Seeking only what is of our Father

And so, beloved brethren, we should know and remember that when we call God our Father, we must behave as children of God, so that whatever pleasure we take in having God for our Father, he may take the same pleasure in us.

Let us behave like temples of God, so that it may be clear that God dwells in us. Let our doings not fall away from the Spirit, but let us, who have begun to be heavenly and spiritual, consider and do nothing but heavenly and spiritual things . . . - St Cyprian's Treatise on the Lord's Prayer

The greatest obstacle to holiness in my life has always been my own will.  I suppose it is always so, for everyone.  My faith in God is so small, sometimes I just want to turn my back on the whole effort.  But the part of me that would leave is not really someone I like very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment