Monday, June 05, 2017

My last friend who died . . .

. . .  or, at least, whose death I knew about at the time it happened, was the son of other dear friends of ours. Our dear friends are older than we are, so their son was just a few years younger than us. Just a few weeks before he took his life, on our way to a retreat together, I'd offered him encouragement that he was seeking the right path. Unfortunately, he'd given no indication that he was dealing with such depression. It was a difficult time.

The echoes of that time are now way more complicated because of what I learned a number of years after his passing. He committed an unspeakable offense against a precious member of my family, and for both of their sake I will not be more specific than that here. Apparently I was among the last to learn of it. Even though I have forgiven him and prayed for him, this most recent passing of a friend recalls that one simply because that was the last one.

I continue to pray for you, that your brokenness is healed for all eternity. And I join you in praying for those whom you hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment