Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Today's words (edited)

ab ovo /ab-OH-voh/ - from the beginning
I should have known the meaning of this word. Also: I hate it when English speakers change the pronunciation of terms we have lifted directly from Latin, where in this is case it would be pronounced /ahb-OH-voh/.
klister /KLIH-ster/ - a soft wax used on skis
A new (to me) word from the Dictionary Devil puzzle. If I'd skied more often than once in my life, I'd probably know this word already!
autarky /AW-tar-kee/ - 1. self-sufficiency, independence; specifically :  national economic self-sufficiency and independence  2.  a policy of establishing a self-sufficient and independent national economy
Another DD word. Don't know that I'll remember this one when I ever need it . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment