Tuesday, January 17, 2017

In the swim, in a panic

I was getting ready to kiss my wife this morning and leave for my swim when I suddenly realized that it was already time for me to be there.

We have two swim times each month: later in the month we swim at 6:30 p.m. on a Saturday, but our earlier in the month weekday swim is 6:10 a.m. I was thinking that I was leaving myself plenty of time, but it suddenly dawned on me that I'd (m)ucked up the time in my head. So I grabbed the kitchen trash and took it out - since the outdoor trash can had already been full when I set it out the night before, because the garbage service switched up the schedule and arrived before I left for work last week, which was when I used to take it to the curb - running to the street and then to the car to drive to the pool. It was a frantic drive, with frequent shouts of "Go! Go!" to the car in front of me as they laconically pulled through a changing light on the wet morning roads. I explained to the guy at the desk that I was with the group that was already in the pool. Fortunately I was already wearing my new suit under my clothes, so I was able to minimize my changing time. I ended up cheating myself out of 200 yards, which I probably couldn't have done anyway since I forgot last night until bedtime that I was swimming this morning, so didn't pre-hydrate; therefore my feet were cramping within the first 200 yards of the swim. Oh, and I didn't take a water bottle with me, either, at least in part because of my frustrated panic as I was leaving the house. And jeez, I hate being late.

On the other hand, I swam fairly well, though only for 700 yards (after adding four lengths at the end) instead of the 900 that the other swimmers got in. On the other hand, my fitness tracker missed at least one length, because it showed me at 575 yards after I'd completed an even number of 25 yard lengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment