Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dear friends

I'm amazed at how our interactions with friends are so much more deeply rooted in who we were when we knew them than in who we may have become since.  That ability to not miss a beat can have a negative side to be aware of, too.

John and I were always cutters-up.  He and his wife moved away over 20 years ago.  So I found myself cutting on him pretty well through the weekend.

I haven't missed that part of my personality.  I followed up with him early this morning with a message to explain and apologize a bit.  It wasn't that I thought it was necessary in the context of our historical friendship, but I wanted to reflect on and share the changes I've experienced in our time apart.

I'm glad I did, as it looks as if we're not seeing them today.  :(  And it looks unlikely that they're going to pass back through again next weekend, as their travel plans look to have changed to accommodate seeing some other friends in Virginia before they go back home via a more southerly route.  :(  Still, it was really nice to see them this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment