Sunday, May 16, 2010

Thy will be done

We are told that the sweat flowed from his brow like great drops of blood as he prayed, "Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me."  Please, please, take it away; let it not be.  Then: "Nevertheless, not my will but yours be done.


"Nevertheless."  The cry in the garden and the cry the next afternoon on the cross catch up, and offer up, everything that happens in between.  This is faith as will: nevertheless, despite everything, to will that God's will be done. - Fr. Richard John Neuhaus - Death on a Friday Afternoon


The Lord has never asked of me, nor I suspect could ever ask of anyone, the degree of obedience to the Father's will which he demonstrated by his own life.  Still, there have been times that a degree of obedient trust was required of me and I failed to give it, to my great regret.  Rather than lament, instead of lambasting myself for the things I cannot change, it is better that I take to heart the important lesson: trusting in God's clear plan even (especially!) when I see no way to the goal is in fact the only way to the goal.

Sometimes faith as will is all the faith I have.  Sometimes hope as will is my only hope.  And sometimes love as will is the most important part of love, the means to stay the course.

Sometimes I wish for more than will.  I wish for an avalanche of feeling, to linger in an appreciation room that I've carefully filled with a recognition of all the treasure I've received, rather than a mere broom closet or shoe box.  But even when that's all I have, my will remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment