Sunday, March 09, 2014

Victory over temptation

Our pilgrimage on earth cannot be exempt from trial. We progress by means of trial. No one knows himself except through trial, or receives a crown except after victory, or strives except against an enemy or temptations . . . . In Christ you were tempted, for Christ received his flesh from your nature, but by his own power gained salvation for you; he suffered insults in your nature, but by his own power gained glory for you; therefore, he suffered temptation in your nature, but by his own power gained victory for you. - from a commentary on the Psalms by St. Augustine, bishop

I was reflecting during yesterday's men's group about the relationship between the body of Christ, the Church, and our head. This passage from today's Office of Readings seems to fit right in with this idea. I believe I will walk more closely along the path my Savior dreams for me to follow if I allow the Holy Spirit to more consistently remind me of - and more fully transform me in - the relationship that the body - and this member - has with the Head.

No comments:

Post a Comment