Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Hiding an emotional flashback

It was an innocent, offhand, smart aleck comment. My coworker complimented my vision, observing, "You have good eyes." Of course, the glasses I've worn since I was eight years old attest otherwise, and even my near vision is corrected by bifocals, but I do have excellent computer vision. Apparently, blocked from my sight by my cube wall, one of my other office mates happened to be looking in his direction, so he nervously explained, "No, I mean, good eyesight. I'm not saying he has cute eyes!"

We all had a laugh as my coworker realized that he'd gone from bad to worse. As we were about to be alone in the office area, he suggested that my office mate who was leaving the area "Just turn off the lights on your way out," with a laugh.

After a brief survey of our locations, I observed, "Oh jeez, and you're between me and the door."

I hope my smile didn't falter at the awful memory that evoked.

I'm actually a little nauseated by that hopeless, helpless feeling.

I hate that I ever made someone feel anything similar to that. I know I'm forgiven for it, though, and beyond grateful that we're reconciled.

No comments:

Post a Comment