Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Not quite a week, but a long one (part 3)

. . . but has become more than a week, by the time I finish posting about it . . .

Sunday morning I wanted to get up and play and sing at 8:00 mass as well as 10:30. I like doing that when grandchildren logistics don't prevent it, and since they were with their dad for the night I had no conflict. I'd gotten my music ready Saturday evening before bed, and arose with the alarm to get ready to be at the church by 7:30.

Music went well, and I had a chance afterward to talk with my wife's friend a bit about how things had been going for both of our families. I traded texts with Teri, too, asking her to bring me a banana so I could eat a bite between masses as I hadn't had anything already. I was pleasantly surprised when our other guitarist was there for mass, as we probably hadn't played together in a couple months. At both masses Jesse's passing and arrangements were mentioned during the announcements. Afterward we decided to leave Teri's car where it was and take mine to the hospital for another visit with Michael. His mom was there, too, preparing for his release.

While g-ma was ordering lunch for him, I received a panicked text from our youngest. Her ex was saying that he wasn't going to let the kids go with her on Sunday. I presume this was because they said they didn't want to, even though it was her birthday. She had gotten him to relent, but asked me to go get them as she was worried that he was going to be verbally abusive to her. That plan ended up being too complicated, though, as I don't know exactly where their dad lives, and none of the cars that were easily available had capacity for two adults and four kids. She ended up going and getting them herself. I tried to go over and find the place in case there were any problems, but I couldn't and there weren't.

I headed back home and had a nap, then took care of the kitchen, which had been neglected since Tuesday. About the time I was headed to the festival for some dinner before my shift I received a panicked text (theme of the day) from our oldest asking if I could please deliver a baby gate to her house to keep the dogs safely away from Michael's freshly-repaired leg. So, off to West Carrollton I went, running into a traffic slowdown on I75 due to an accident that was being cleared. I got back to the festival with about enough time to go to the basket booth, where I was persuaded to agree to drop another $10 that I really thought better of but which we had budgeted for festival. (We didn't win.) At that point I had time to grab a Polish sausage and report for the final shift at our booth. Inventory management resulted in apologetically listing for each customer that came to our booth in the last hour-plus of the festival the ever-dwindling options that were available for their selection. Most of them were pretty good-natured about it. We also took up the carpet remnants we used for padding; this was the first year that they were still dry by Sunday night. Normally this might have been left for booth tear down the next day, but there was overnight rain in the forecast, and it's so much easier to handle dry carpet remnants than sopping wet ones! We also took down the roof tarp to take advantage of it being dry. Even though it didn't rain until late the next afternoon, it turned out that these preventive measures paid off, as they barely finished tear down before the rain started.

All-in-all, it was a pretty crazy week. It has, of course continued, with details for music for Jesse's celebration of life, and a birthday get-together with all of our daughters and grandchildren.


No comments:

Post a Comment