Sunday, February 09, 2014

Today's words

regnant \REG-nunt\ - 1. exercising rule : reigning  2a. having the chief power : dominant  b. of common or widespread occurrence
As soon as I saw this word I was pretty sure I knew what it meant, figuring something along the lines of its first definition. The 2b definition even make sense in the context of the first two. I'd have never gotten the pronunciation right, though; the Latin "regnat" would have crossed me up, and probably will if I ever encounter this word again. 
parvenu \PAHR-vuh-noo\ - one who has recently or suddenly risen to an unaccustomed position of wealth or power and has not yet gained the prestige, dignity, or manner associated with it
Maybe I've seen this one before, but it seems new. I'd have mispronounced it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment